1. My sketchbook is here! The Sketchbook Project 2012 will be in Toronto this week! At The Gladstone (1214 Queen Street West):
“July 19th (opening reception), 6-10pm
July 20th-22nd, 2-6pm
Venue: 2nd Floor Gallery
Brooklyn, NY (Art House Co-op) April 14, 2012 ― The 2012 Sketchbook Project World Tour kicked off April 14th at the Brooklyn Art Library, featuring thousands of sketchbooks contributed by artists from more than 100 countries.”
I’m going to be there for a few of those dates checking out other people’s work and also to see how Tika fared on her journey.
* My other illustrations for the Sketchbook Limited Edition will be published in a series of books that the Brooklyn Art Library is publishing Fall 2012.: http://www.arthousecoop.com/projects/sketchbookprojectlimited
At the moment on working on a new series for a future art show in the city. This is just a preliminary sketch I did for one of the works in that.
2. Salon Noir “The Victorian Parlour Party”: September 1, 2012
I’ll be doing readings along with Liisa Ladouceur and a few others that night. The Salon Noir events have been one of my favorite new event nights in the city. I mean, with seeing David J, The Living Jarboe and many other artists alongside a glass of absinthe, how could it not be fun?
I am very much looking forward to this event.
3. There are few more things cooking up. I finished my first full poetry manuscript and I’ve been shopping it around. Admittedly, it’s been sad to let go of the work, to let it stand on its own. It was an odd feeling, but I’ve tried to replace it with excitement for what this poetry book has meant to me and how much I want to share it.
My novel manuscript goes on. It’s been a struggle, but the inspiration keeps coming, which is a huge difference from the last 15 years of writer’s block. I’m too scared to think of that coming back to me, so I forge on as best I can. In the meantime, I continue writing little fictions and hopefully, with perseverance, more of those will be published in journals and online magazines. Look for a new one called “Dust” in Little Fiction in the next few months (They previously published my list story “Open” for their Listerature anthology). You can also find some experimental stuff I’ve written on Wattpad.
4. I’ve restocked my backpack library, so if you’d like to purchase a paperback copy of my chapbooks, you can ask me or you can also find them here: http://jacquelinevalencia.com/works/
If you are so inclined, let me know if you’ve read it or review it (accepting all kinds of review and criticism). Send me a link to your blog, or let me know on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5400032.Jacqueline_Valencia
5. Now because you read this far, here’s a photo of one of my cats, K2.
I have restrained myself from photoshopping a bottle of craft beer into her tiny paws. There aren’t enough photos of cats on the internet, n’est-ce pas?